Drawing Concepts and Materials for Oil Painting

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Drawing Concepts and Materials for Oil Painting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, instructor Charles Hu will provide an overview of significant visual elements needed in painting. You will learn the fundamentals of drawing and blocking in a subject. Charles explains the key concepts of gesture, shape design, and composition. You will discover how to guide the viewer’s eye and tell the story through your artwork. Charles will demonstrate a series of compositional studies. Then, you will watch as he provides a rundown of the materials needed for the course.

This lesson belongs to the course Oil Painting for Beginners I. In this 8-week course, instructor Charles Hu will prepare you with a manual on painting with oils. He will walk you through the materials needed for the course and the key concepts for creating a painting. You will learn to paint a variety of subjects using different color palettes. Charles will lecture on the elements of shape, composition, and balance to aid your paintings. After this course, you will be able to confidently paint any subjects in oil.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

KajsaKajsa
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I find it very hard to work very small. Is there a specific teaching reason behind instructing us to keep it within 4×6?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

This assignment is about simplifying the model and focusing on the composition
    The goal is to remove the students from the details of the model and to instead focus on the large shapes and light & shadow patterns

Alaap Hasan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It’s my first lesson , im taking notes , but are we to be drawing along as well?

im afraid ill never get past the first lesson at this rate

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

There are different schools of thought on this. But I believe its best to watch the lesson first. Just watch and absorb. Then you can draw along on the second approach. Then turn off the video and do it again by yourself without looking at the previous drawing. Once you are done, you can compare your results to your previous drawing and  to Charles’ drawing. In this way, it should be clear to you how much you retained and what you still need to work on. If you are doing the live class, you can submit your assignments each week for open review.
    If the pace is too quick for you, I would recommend just auditing the course and taking it at your own speed. its better to absorb the material than to rush through it
    good luck 🙂

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Its most important that you focus on the assignments in the assignment tab. These are designed to help you get the most out of each lesson.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.