Developing a Composition for Painting: Refinement and Finishing Touches

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Developing a Composition for Painting: Refinement and Finishing Touches

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, instructor Steve Huston will demonstrate his painting process. Here, he focuses on the finishing stage of the painting, like controlling the temperature, harmonizing different elements, and refining the silhouettes. You will learn Steve’s philosophy for painting and what masters have influenced him.

This lesson belongs to the course Creative Composition. In this 6-week course, Steve Huston will teach you the main visual components frequently used in fine art. You will discover how line, shape, and color help strengthen the storytelling of your work. Steve will show you examples from the Old Masters as he presents each significant concept. In doing so, he will talk about how these components are applied in other art fields. Since this course was filmed during a live workshop, you will also be tuning in to his Q&A sessions and critiques of students’ works. Moreover, you will watch Steve develop a composition for a painting from start to finish. After completing this course, you will gain a deep understanding of art philosophy and composition; what you need for creating successful artworks.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

Bruce HancockBruce Hancock
    Participant
    No points.

This was my introductory course to NMA.  (And this is my first posting.)  When I first joined I spent a few days like a kid in a candy shop looking at and sampling a few videos, of course,  but I wanted to get started in earnest by following one class from beginning to end and completing the assignments along the way.  I looked for something with a shorter class time, yet still involving an interesting, useful subject matter.  I found Creative Composition by Steve Huston.  I own Steve’s figure drawing book, which is the most accessible and practical guide to the subject I have.  I also know at least one of Steve’s student’s from Art Center, so that was exciting.  I’ve now viewed all 6 lessons at least once and completed the assignments except for the “final” exam, which is underway, but is going to take some time.

I found this course much different than I expected.  Composition has never been one of my favorite subjects.  My experience is that it is all about rules that get violated routinely by the Masters and modern day fine artists.  Sometimes I feel like it’s a pseudo-science made up to fit the painting being analyzed!  But Steve’s class opened my mind to what it can mean.  Suddenly it was all about creating a story, setting the stage, arranging the scene and just plain having an idea!  Exciting stuff.

As an added benefit, I watched how Steve used Photoshop and, though I have some basic knowledge around manipulating photos, I decided I needed to be able to use it for more.  I quickly enrolled in Chris Legaspi’s Beginning Photoshop and took the first 2-3 lessons.  Fabulous!  I was able to do several of my homework assignments (thumbnails) with photoshop.  Wow!  (Photoshop is NOT required in Steve’s Creative Comp. class.  BTW, I will be returning to Chris’s class soon.)

So, while I’m not done with the last assignment, I can say that I am very pleased with my first experience at NMA.  And “meeting” Steve Huston has been all I hoped it might be and more.  I know I will be sitting in the back row of more of his classes soon!

Sorocco thumbnails

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.