Dean G’s 100-Day Digital Painting Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Dean G’s 100-Day Digital Painting Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 59. Forgot to upload last night.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 60. Not a pretty stage.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 61.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 62.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 63. Once again the eyes are giving me trouble. I think I’m going to focus on eyes once I’m done with this challenge.

jafar blue
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

lol

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 64.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 65. I painted yesterday but the forums were not working for uploads. He’s my next step.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work. I think that where you are now, it would more useful to posterize more. Make clear distinctions between light and shadow and avoid working too soft. Forcing yourself to repeatedly break down forms this way will strengthen your overall sense of value design and help a lot. Also work more on follow through. For example that drapery is coming up forward and over her shoulder. Try to show that it has an origin we can’t see and that it’s not just a flat shape. You can do that in how you design your edges, how you deal with tone, your overlaps etc.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 66. Thanks Joshua. Let’s see if I can follow with what you are saying. I need to avoid using the soft brush for everything. Just focusing on areas to get an effect. Work with strong value groups.

I’ll try to remember this as I work on my next one.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 67.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 68. The eyes have tricked me again.

I’m taking a break for a few days. I’ve have a baby girl arriving soon and she takes priority. Thanks all.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 69. Back to it. Did this one in a day.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 70. This is a failure. I’m going to drop it and move on.

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hey Dean,

I love seeing these digital portraits! I particularly like the quicker ones, I feel they’re more spontaneous and the immediacy really shows all the strengths and weaknesses of the technique. It’s easier to grow from those, I believe. I did a draw-over on top of the previous post of the girl. I basically amplified all of the reflected lights- the sky on the hair, the greens on the shirt and face, as well as darkened the face to make room for highlights. I didn’t change the lips or nose, because I haven’t seen the reference, but I do think the lips are too bright and the nose is too long. But I might be wrong there. Also, most importantly, I softened all of those strong contrasts on the neck. One rarely needs them, even if you see them, because they generally take away from the face.

Keep up the great work!

Best,

Iliya

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.