Dean G’s 100-Day Digital Painting Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Dean G’s 100-Day Digital Painting Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi all I want to learn to “paint” digitally. I’ve been learning with graphite and pen and ink but always shy away from color. I will, for 100 days, work on a digital painting piece to learn more about the medium and force myself to work in color.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 1 – I’ve been working on this in 10-20 minute chunks for a few days. It’s pushed me well out of my comfort zone. Lots to improve.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello Dean,

Cool challenge. I am also trying to work with colors for my challenge. I am using oil pastels for the human figure. I am a beginner at this, but one thing I’ve discovered recently that might help you a bit is that the figure is often far more colorful than it appears at first glance. Lots more yellows, reds, oranges, and greens blended with the peachy skin color. I’m still trying to figure out how to use a lot more color and still make it look realistic. It’s a pretty difficult task. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress, and let me know if you have some good tips.

Bryan.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work. “Out of your comfort zone” is where the growth happens so keep it up!

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Once I took a moment away I realized that I started cutting into the size of left eye. Repainted that. Looks much better, but still not getting the form correctly. I’ve also just realized that the shape of the nose is off and that puts the relationship between the eye and the nose highlight along the side in the wrong places.

its my negative voice now saying this is a painting of Nicolas Cage. Not quite what I was going for.

LcdrKodiasLcdrKodias
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Dean!

Yeah, proportion can be a pain to wrestle with. And I understand the negative voice all to well, as I’m sure others do. But keep on keeping on and things will start falling into place.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3. Repainted the face starting with a focus on the big shapes and the more subtle colours. Proportions look much better now. I need to keep my attention on the eyes, I keep making them smaller.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by DeanGiberson.
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work! I think it would be good step back and simplify your values. If those are piecemeal and you are also dealing with color it can be easy to get lost in the complexity.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua, I’ve tried to pull the three values apart. It helps see the shapes a bit more. I had been being too conservative with my use of value space. Don’t fear the darks!

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5. Working on the eyes. I’m having some trouble getting the color and keeping the translucency of the eye. Something to work on.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Just gave you a badge for the 100 Day challenge!

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks you Joshua.

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6. I didn’t have a ton of time but made it important enough that I did at least something. I worked on the value & color of the eyes. The direction is not quite right, she’s looking up more in the reference but I’m okay with this interpretation.

JJJJ
    Participant
    No points.

Really like the expression! Brings the drama. Keep it up, excited to see where this one goes!

DeanGiberson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7. Lots of blending around the eyes and adding in secondary colours in the shapes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.