Costume w Charles Hu

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Costume w Charles Hu

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Denie Kony
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi everyone,

I’ve been taking the costume drawing course now and I love it. I just got to the videos with Charles Hu, where he focuses a lot on shape design, which is something I never really paid attention to too much. These are one-minute sketch poses, where I took a minute afterward to try to emphasize the folds and create some good looking shapes. I am not really feeling it tho. Some shapes feel good, some do feel kinda sluggish to me. Does anyone have a tip on how to improve shape design in costume drawing, or how to improve in shape design in general.

Thank you.

Costume 2

Costume 1

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Denie, really nice studies. For being a 1 minute exercise you did well. The gesture and fluid movement is working. The main thing I focus on is maintaining the structure and integrity of the figure’s forms underneath. For example the shoulders here start to lose forms. I will often edit out or design a fold if it does not reinforce the structure and form I want. For me that is priority #1. Hope that helps.

crit-denie

Charles HuCharles Hu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Denise,

Gland you enjoy the tutorial! “Shape Design” is something I emphasized a lot in my work. It help with different levels on making your art work seens more gestured and dynamic. It’s a tricky one to do. You got to know what is the Over all gesture of the pose, the story and the essence of it….its a Happy shape or sad. Does it screaming at the viewer or gentle and clam,  is it support by something or not?does it evolve with tension?……

It will be hard to do if you are doing just section of it and not knowing what is the overall pose about. You made a wise choice to extend a min. After the pose was up. Keep in mind, you are not races against the time. The speed of your drawing will pick up once you get better.And to get better, like Chris suggest to you by understanding 3 dimensional volume, and having your 2 dimensional shapes to reinforce it.

The way to help doing that ,fist thing is to “Draw Though” see how Chris draw though the figure as egg and cylinder ,then you will be able to draw the out fit over them also using the folds to wraps around them.

Good luck, keep up the hard work!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.