Construction of the Figure: Head, Neck, & Torso

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Construction of the Figure: Head, Neck, & Torso

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, instructor Sheldon Borenstein will demonstrate how to construct divisions of the figure, including the head, neck, and torso. You will learn the techniques for layering construction lines to give the figure volume, starting with simple shapes then building upon them to show landmarks and form.

This lesson belongs to the course Introduction to the Figure. In this 4-week course, Sheldon Borenstein will teach you all the fundamentals of figure drawing. With his 30 years of experience in the entertainment industry and teaching, Sheldon will show you how to draw the figure with rhythm and structure. This course will teach you two important aspects of figure drawing: gesture and construction. Through these two principles, you will be able to tell a story with the figure and give it believable forms.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

Russell Lamb
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Sheldon/All,

This is my first post on NMA, not sure what to ask here, but definitely wanted to share my progress and how much I’m enjoying the course thus far. I’m on lesson three now, and my gesture is leagues above where I started, but still feels stiff. I’m starting to get the hang of translating my head size into landmarks, but struggle on leg length. I’m also surprised at how difficult it was to determine direction of the simple shapes in space (torward/away arrows) and have been practicing that. I uploaded my studies thus far and included a few videos here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/QQzEDQn

Any and all feedback/crit is greatly appreciated, I want to get a lot better at this so I can design better comic art, maybe even try animation at some point.

Thanks,

Russ

JohannaDunnJohannaDunn
    Participant
    No points.

I must say I absolutely love him its impossible to get bored while watching him which is really really helpful!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.