Carolina’s 100 Day Challenge: Drawing (Open)

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Carolina’s 100 Day Challenge: Drawing (Open)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Jan! Thank you 🙂

It is so great nowadays that we have so many online resources to learn from. And to choose from. ( I love the internet for that). There are so many things in fact…takes time.

Where are you at with the Russian Course? I am just starting to look at the lectures for the male head cadaver…will probably start posting my attempts once I am done watching it all. In the meantime, I’ll be posting other things for the challenge.

Well this week, we will have an opportunity to practice tons of hatching with the foot for the master Mondays. Looks very involved and challenging (as usual). I wonder what we will both come up with (if you participate and good luck if you do!)

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Day 10/100. Reference: ‘Design for a Vase…’ by Giovanni Battista Foggini. Love this art period. (Italian) Baroque. In progress. Part 1.

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Day 11/100. Reference: ‘Design for a Vase…’ by Giovanni Battista Foggini. Love this art period. (Italian) Baroque. In progress. Part 2.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Caroline! I agree that being able to study art online is life changing. NMA is an amazing resource that I’m so happy to have found. As far as Iliya’s courses, I did the first half of the lessons in the Russian Academic Drawing Approach course (up through the portrait) and then some of the Drapery series. I’ve been working on and off the last couple of weeks on the Cast Drawing course and am almost finished with the nose study. I haven’t committed to the 100 Day Challenge, but I’ve posted quite a few of my drawings over the past year. If you want to see any of them, you can click on my name and then go to Topics Started. Some of the threads have multiple drawings posted.

I do plan to continue with Master Mondays. I’ve learned so much already. I want to hopefully work more on this week’s head study since that one really got away from me. I was so focused on accuracy that I lost sight of the process. Getting the proportions correct took so much time that I ended up rushing to complete the drawing. I immediately jumped to the details and went back to my old habit of outlining and filling in instead of constructing the drawing. I really prefer more tonal approach, but I need to work on not smudging but really following the forms and controlling my values. I can do it when I follow Iliya but it’s definitely more of a challenge on my own. Good luck on your study this week!

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Jan! I was wondering how to find you, lol, and it was so easy, just clicking your name. Sigh. I really love your work! You do have a really nice body of work on here!  (If you ever do a 100 Day Challenge will definitely be following you).  One that jumped out to me, was the portrait of the lady (Mather -I love the detail on her attire, by the way, and the entire portrait, both of them). I notice how you wrote on that thread you like to finish every detail. I am so used to detail (and accuracy) that do something simpler is actually difficult or to just let things be/stop. One could go on and on. We do have many similar habits…the outlining/filling instead of constructing – I am slowly trying to do the opposite. (Old) Habits die hard. And same, same it is more challenging to do certain things on one’s own…following the instructor is easier….Also, pushing the tones darker so that there is more contrast. I am naturally a lighter shader, so that is something I really need to pay attention to. However, all comes with time. I need to be patient.

Good luck with with the Michelangelo head study! You’ll do great! You have a really strong basis with all the Russian Course work, all the other course work you have done on here and all the feedback you have received:)

And thanks, I’ll need the luck with the study for this week. It’s deceptive in its “simplicity”. Those insanely controlled hatch lines are next level.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, Carolina, for your very kind comments. One of my favorite aspects of NMA has been the other participants. Their feedback and suggestions have been invaluable, and I appreciate you taking the time to look at my work. That drawing of Mather is my favorite, too. I was so excited when that particular photo was added to the images, and I had to draw it immediately. I love detail, pattern, and hair LOL. I totally agree with you that it’s difficult to draw something simpler and also to know when something is finished. Pushing values is hard for me as well, and I really do not like hatching. I much prefer scribbling and blending! I just now saw the book posted on Discord for the next Master Study. The hatching is breathtaking. I hope I have the patience! (Also, I apologize for accidentally calling you Caroline in my last post!)

The vase is looking great!

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Day 12/100. Reference: ‘Design for a Vase…’ by Giovanni Battista Foggini. Love this art period. (Italian) Baroque. Finished.

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Day 13/100_Cours de Dessin_No57_Bernard Romain Julien_In progress_Part 1. Figuring out these lines and which pencils to us. The artist is very neat in his approach.

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Day 14/100_Cours de Dessin_No57_Bernard Romain Julien_In progress_Part 2. Going to put cross-hatching overtop.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Carolina! You seem to be conquering hatching! Your Master Monday Discord post looks perfectly executed. I’m impressed that you were able to really show the volume with such few lines. Parallel hatching feels very awkward and mechanical to me and is a skill I need to practice. Joshua’s lecture will definitely be interesting this week! This study looks terrific too. I like how you’re integrating the shading and line work.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by JanJan.
    CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Day 15/100_Playing around with crosshatching/lines. Ruined my foot from Day 14 with putting crosshatches on top so decided I actually needed to practice the lines more. I’ll attempt another drawing from the Cours de Dessin once I feel I have these lines somewhat more under control.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by CarolinaCarolina.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by CarolinaCarolina.
    CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Jan! Thank you so very much, but alas, SIGH. I got really frustrated today. Sometimes it feels like the lines are flowing and then I lose control of it….that is what happened to my foot from Day 14. I lost control of the hatch lines and ruined my foot😪😪. I don’t know if I’ll re-do it all. I may but if not I will attempt a different drawing from the same artist but once I get these lines under more control. It’s like a 50 win, 50 loose battle right now . I do need much more practice. I think I’ll just be drawing lines for the next couple days. I feel the lines come out straighter if I just move the pencil and my hand stays completely still.

Great effort as well on the foot for the Master Monday. I like your drawing, the lines have an expressiveness to them yet capture the essence of the foot. And absolutely, this will be a very interesting Master Monday with Joshua!

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

DAY 16/17_some lines and a face for fun.

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Day 18_Cours De Dessin_No6_Bernard Romain Julien_In progress

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Day 19_Cours De Dessin_No6_Bernard Romain Julien_Done

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.