brick

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique brick

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RudyRudy
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I gave up on the right side of the brick. It’s my poor attempt at a Nerdrum painting.

Titanium White, Mars Yellow, Chinese Vermillion, Green Umber and Mars Black. 

Vandon
    Participant
    No points.

the brick has an excellent glowing texture. The reflection of the brick is done very nicely. The shadows created by the brick are convincing. Overall the brick claims magnificent presence.

Nice job!

I like this painting. My only desire for more would be just a little more perspective on the environment the brick is in.

Mike_Art_AttackMike_Art_Attack
    Participant
    No points.

Hello Rudy,

Glad to see someone else taking advantage of these forums.
    Hopefully others will join in soon.

First off, full disclosure, I had to research who Nerdrum was when you posted this. What amazing work from him.

I saw his painting of White Brick which I am assuming you were inspired by.

On its own, I think your painting is very well done. I agree with the previous comments about the shadow shape and reflection of the brick. It comes across very convincingly and is very well done.

A couple of opinions I have:
    I would have liked to see more texture on the brick. To me it seems too smooth almost like a soft pastel stick.

Also in my opinion the background could use something more. It just seems smooth and texture-less. Where Nerdrum also has a simple background but there is noticeable texture and subtle nuances in it.

Normally I wouldn’t compare so much to another artists work, but you mentioned that this was your attempt at his style painting.

Again on its own, it works well and is convincing. I feel like I could possibly trip over it if I was walking in your painting.

Nice Job!

Ohh and I’m curious to know what size canvas this is?

RudyRudy
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the help. The painting is 16″ x 20″ and I agree with your comments about the background and the top of the brick. I guess I could go back and make changes but I think this painting ran out of gas. So I’ll move on to something else and post it here. Thanks again for the comments.

doresteinert
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

First of all: I like it a lot. Especially the choice of motive.

I understand you will move on. This post is mostly to let you know I´ve seen it, and cared, and, like Mike I would love some more traffic in this forum, as I find them quite helpful 😉

My only comment would be that the surface then brick is lying on is tilting a tiny bit to the right. If you went for solidity, laying on the horizon might give it more “grounding”. Then, on the other hand, it was quite interesting to watch a solid object with a rather dull (as in “not shiny”) surface with this contradictory quality.

andresclements
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like the poetry of it very much. I think the previous commenters have said more and better than I might. The background instantly reminded me of Gerhard Richter’s candle paintings. Are you familiar with them?

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Rudy I agree with Andre’s post

Poetic it’s beautiful whatever you are criticising in you technique I am not skilled enough to see  but I find this painting very beautiful calming healing the reflection and colours are  to die for .

Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.