Basic Principles of Light

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Basic Principles of Light

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, instructors Chris Legaspi and Heather Lenefski will show you how to apply light to simple forms and use halftones to enhance the sense of 3-dimensional space. Then, you will apply your knowledge of forms to render your household objects.

This lesson belongs to the course The Beginner’s Guide to Drawing. It is a 12-week course designed to empower new students with a structured approach for learning how to draw. Join instructors Steve Huston, Chris Legaspi, Heather Lenefski, Bill Perkins, and Mark Westermoe as you learn the fundamentals of perspective, rendering, and composition. After completing this course, you will develop a solid foundation in drawing.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

Sam Pollard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Just me, or is lesson 8 repeated at the beginning of lesson 9?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You are a life saver Sam, We are making the correction now B)

Patricia Sheley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

An example of the second law of light “Everything that receives light is also a source of light”: is the moon, it reflects the suns light and on earth is a source of light.

Andrea Lo Rillo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I was trying to do the assigment and found that i have a bit of troubles when I add the core shadow

Francisco Verdin
    Participant
    No points.

Hi guys is there a way we can unlock the assignment forms?

I used to be able to open the assignments on the older website version.

Thanks.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Francisco
    Please email @nma.art">info@nma.art
    you can also report a bug on the left hand toolbar at the very bottom

until then, you can opt out of nma.art/v3 and use the old site 🙂
    https://www.nma.art/v3/my-account/beta-opt

noselvesnoselves
    Participant
    No points.

Week 4: Basic Principles of Light

This week we learn the laws of light, I’ve learned this before and this acted more as a review. I did the first assignment using the 3-D model and using simple 3-D forms, I tried to imagine the light as a straight line hitting the object in my mind’s eye. Using newsprint paper I felt really careful to add the values, to not tear up the drawing surface. I had trouble rendering the sphere and establishing a smooth transition from the core shadow (terminator) to the darkest half-tones, the impression mass of the sphere is found in the curvature of the form and the light should follow this. The next assignment was on household objects, initially I drew a bottle of olive oil and a measuring cup, unbeknownst to me I forgot that these were transparent objects so the laws of light wouldn’t follow what was prescribed in the assignment than if it were objects with a matte surface. So I drew two additional objects for the assignment, a lamp and a bottle of lotion, I placed the light relatively at the same angle for the objects (probably should’ve experimented more). The shadow pattern confused me the most as there was a cast shadow falling on the area behind the handle, the light coming parallel to this from the right. The lamp had lighting below it’s base resulting in the top of the main base’s surface to be knocked back into shadow, same with the actual surface of the bulb. The bottle of lotion had a sharp crease that resulted in the form going back into space then back out to create a cast shadow on the bottle itself. Work is on my ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8wmOrQ

Lisa Freeze
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m loving these videos – can anyone answer what the pencil is used in this video? Thanks!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

It looks like a CarbOthello but any pencil should work for this. Feel free to experiment and see what works best for you. As a student, especially if you have a heavy hand, it’s generally advised to use the softest pencil you can find. This will improve your sensitivity since the pencil is hard to control

I hope this helps 🙂

Cindy DELORY
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Alexander Alexis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Assignment 1:

assignment1

Assignment 2:

assignment2a

assignment2b

SholaShola
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Where can I find the 3D models? I cannot find it anywhere where it says I can use a visual viewer to rotate the objects??

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Shola, please check the reference tab under the video. if you have any issues with this, please email “info@nma.art”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.