Art Dictionary

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Website Suggestions and Wish List Art Dictionary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brit TaylorBrit Taylor
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I was never formally trained, I go with my gut and I know when things look bad, yet I have an issue with trying to identify the problem’s roots. That said, plenty of people talk about art as though I know what it is they are saying and then I realize… I don’t know the language /at all/.

If it is not too much trouble, I would love to see an Art Dictionary, words, defined, so that when someone uses the term Gesture, or Render, or Value, that I can look it up in the Art Dictionary and figure out what you are actually saying. I learned a lot by now, but I don’t know what I don’t know, and it would just rock my world if even basic terms were explained in a rapid reference dictionary.

Cheers!

Brit Taylor

AF TerryAF Terry
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Bravo!  Great suggestion born of self-assessment and awareness that would contribute greatly to other advancing artists, like myself.  I’d love to see your dictionary idea realized.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

GREAT idea.

Brit TaylorBrit Taylor
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m so glad you like the idea! I just sometimes think “Wouldn’t it be helpful if…”

I kind of feel like I’m in the art cave, so unknown to the world. Living under the art rock. You know, it’s hard to speak the language if you don’t know it.

A hundred thanks!!

AF TerryAF Terry
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

LOL RE: “it’s hard to speak the language when you don’t know it”. I’m a linguist.  So lol at that!

It’s true, there is a linguistic shorthand in every field.  It helps.  I had no idea what “glazing” in oil painting is.  Still not sure I get it completely.  But, I will.

Loving New Master’s Academy!🤓

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.