Ambidexterity

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art Discussion Drawing Ambidexterity

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Alex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I am right dominant, though I have been teaching myself to use my left hand for a few years now.

It took me a while to get the hang of writing and I’ve been drawing lefthanded on and off for less than a year. I originally started because I believe that teaching the ‘unnatural’ hand, can also benefit the one you’re familiar with. I found that drawing warm-ups with my left improved the ones I did with my right. I have been putting more effort into my left the last few months and I’m rather pleased. I started off drawing already existing cartoon characters that I could use for reference and have been trying more with realistic references or just from my imagination. I am a little thrown off on how I seem to have a more consistent style, especially when drawing faces. When drawing more stylized and unrealistic faces and heads, my left hand just seems to have a natural knack for it over my right. Of course, my left hand isn’t as steady as my right, but I enjoy it’s style over the other regardless.

I just wonder if other ambidextrous artists out there experience the same things in drawing or have more experience in working with both hands and have found it to help them.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.