Alieke’s 100 Day Sketch, Draw and have fun challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Alieke’s 100 Day Sketch, Draw and have fun challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi all,

I wanted to join in and hope to just create for this challenge. I tend to overwhelm myself with things I want to do, study, finish pieces, oil paintings, watercolors, I like a lot of things.
    I have been thinking of just focussing on one thing for this challenge, as suggested, but I also know that that might cause resistance .. (I want to do X, instead of Y, so I don’t do anything in the end).  Therefore I want to formulate my challenge this way;

Draw or sketch, with pencil, ink, or watercolors, for 100 days. 

This probably will include figure drawing studies (currently going through the Glenn Vilpu course), landscape sketches, and fantasy type stuff. I’ll try to ‘avoid’ posting more final pieces since this challenge is focussed on the drawing, sketching, and exploring.

I want to improve my overall drawing skills, sketch easier from imagination to be able to make the art I want to make.
    Therefore I also am free to experiment with techniques and tiny sketches to see if I can discover things I would like to see in my art.

And with that, I go to work.

Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 1:

Weekly figure drawing study

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Eyliana.
    Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Double post

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by AlexandraAlexandra.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Eyliana. Reason: Double post
    Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Double post

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by AlexandraAlexandra.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Eyliana. Reason: Double post
    Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 1:

We have some nice blooming flowers in the house currently, so they require drawing! I might do some more the upcoming days, before they wither.

And my weekly figure drawing. Sorry if this is going to be a double post, it seems like my post isn’t showing up. 

Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It seems I need more patience.. I think. Sorry for all the double posts!

Day 2:

Worked on a sketch for a new painting.

Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3:

Started the day with some figure course work. Drew asking with the video. Tomorrow or later this week some n studies in my own.

And I finished the sketch from yesterday. I’ll finish the border digitally, because easier.

HonestkaHonestka
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Alieke! I can’t wait to see where your sketch from yesterday goes–I really like the composition, symbolism and balance of “asymmetrical” symmetry.

Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Honestka!

I’m looking forward to it as well. I’m not entirely sure how to proceed yet regarding colouring. But I’ll think on it 🙂

Day 4:

Part of me can’t believe it’s day 4 already. Today was ‘play’ day, aka I could play with my watercolors. I made a tiny study for the piece from day 3, since I’m not entirely sure yet what I want with the lines and colours. And two little random things where I tried to apply silver/aluminium leaf, but that needs some more research since it didn’t stick the way I wanted.

HonestkaHonestka
    Participant
    No points.

Looks like you had a fun Day 4! I’ve never tried using leafing before but it intrigues me, seeing it in other works. Is it easy to apply? I quite like the effect especially in contrast to the colors and mood of the tree on the far right.

Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It was fun 🙂 I think experimentation is an important part of the process, besides the technical skills.

The silver leaf is fairly easy to apply. I got some gold sizing (glue) from the art supply store. I apply it with a brush to the paper and put the sheets on there. Then wait for it to dry. After I brush off the remaining leaf with a soft brush. A harder bristle brush will scratch the leaf.

What I’m trying to figure out at the moment are the drying times and the amount of glue needed. There are some parts where the leaf didn’t stick. I would like to use gold leaf or something for the border designs.

Day 5:

More box people. First pose was hard, second went better.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Eyliana.
    Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6:

LLittle portrait sketch today

Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7:

This took me way too long. But it’s done. Hopefully I can get to painting this weekend.

Eyliana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8:

I Planned on doing more today, but didn’t get around to it. Another chance tomorrow!

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Cool piece. Like an art nouveau illuminated manuscript. I think you could show that the trees move back into shape by running some lines or details across rather than with the long axis.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.