Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 284 total)
  • Author
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#22 okay. SO, I practised a bunch. I redid the timed assignment. Felt good about it, proud even. Watched Vilpu do it. Heart shattered into a million pieces.

I still haven’t got it down. There’s definite improvements, but the angles are still slightly off, and I have a habit of confusing the angle and showing too many faces of the box. I’m going to have to succumb and complete the 250 drawabox challenge like Ramona suggested.   BLASTS. Jokes aside, I’m quite enjoying all the drawing Im getting done but I am starting to question if I have any promise.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by AlexAlex.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by AlexAlex.
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

day#23 started drawabox. been trying the rotated boxes challenge all day. cant do it, but getting closer.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is my 23rd attempt. I will try again tomorrow.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

day#24

I did it. 🙂

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

day#25

nothing much to show today. just doing the 250 box challenge. not seeing much improvement yet.  on box 76/250

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Alex,

I did this challenge like a year ago. Since I also practised basic stuff like forms recently I also tried different approaches for my boxes.

For me it was really helpful to try different ways of starting a box like drawing the corner nearest to you first or starting with one of the 2D planes. Establishing 4 lines of one axis leading to the same vp first is also a way to do it and my recently discovered favorite if you are up for a challenge would be to start with just the 2D shape of the whole box (like a contour drawing).

Additionally always try to imagine the orientation of the box in your mind and if you struggle use a real cube like object as reference until you got it down. Lastly what I also like to do is to take one of the drawn boxes and draw it slightly rotated out of my mind.

Long story short: Don’t just have the number of boxes as a goal instead use them to find an approach that works for you, especially because that approach could also be applicable to other things.

Keep up the good work 👍👋

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Okay so I took a break from this challenge because I went to live with my Girlfriend for a week whilst the lockdown has been lifted where I am. I did however end up finishing my 250 box challenge, you can see the results here. Whilst I did make other drawings during this time away Im not going to count those days towards my challenge and just continue from day 26. Im kinda sad I havent linked these days consecutively but I guess Im just treating this as more of a progress blog now because it helps me consistently pick up the pencil in the first place, which is the thing I actually care about since Ive neglected to do so in the past.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gz2uOJ2

This has actually helped my visualising figures as boxes. I still cant draw a perfect box in perspective freehand though, I got some content from Krenz Cushart though so I think Im going to try to learn his method.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@christopherbunger thanks for the advice

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

basically half way through the vilpu course, cant wait to bloody finish it and get on with anatomy really. The videos are ridiculously long and he covers the same ground a lot, I feel like I have a grasp of it now, the later videos look more exciting though with modelling lighting etc.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hey Alex,

you’re doing great things here, and #27 definitely shows it

keep up with the practice

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@iamjakeroo thank you, very kind of you to say!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 284 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.