Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 284 total)
  • Author
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day #18 watched more of steve huston’s figure drawing course, then some of Vilpu’s gesture drawing and did some 2 minute gesture drawings. here’s some of them. I think I prefer steve’s approach to vilpu’s really, these drawings ended up quite out of proportion because there was so much to think about other than tubes and proportion.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Alex, I see you are also following the course by Vilppu. Very nice gestural drawings you have here, keep it up!

You asked about the box shapes and one thing that might be helpful are the beginning exercises of a website called draw a box + a few pages of the respective 250 box challenge. You can take a look at my 100 day challenge for reference, but in the beginning of that challenge, I had no idea how to apply the box method at all. By the time I reached the Box figure lesson of Vilppu, I practiced some basic perspective with these draw a box exercises, and it appeared much easier to me to apply it to the figure.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#19

struggling visualising the ribcage and pelvis as boxes, please help.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Haven’t seen this thread in awhile. Great work here! The ribcage is difficult to box up because it’s not that boxy. This is how I visualize it:

That’s a somewhat athletic male ribcage. Looking at it you’ll notice while it does have fronts, sides, rear, etc it doesn’t conform to a box in the way way that a head can be drawn inside a box although it’s not very boxlike.

So you need to build a better mental map of how this form could fit into a box. When you add the masses of the shoulder girdle you do get more boxiness, but remember that those shoulders move independently and would stretch and twist the corners of that box.

The way Glenn and Steve both use the box is closer to how Lucca Cambiaso or Michelangelo would do it. They just use a box for a given situation not mapping it to real anatomy in any specific way. The shoulders can sometimes be included but if they dont go with the cage enough they could be excluded. It’s a bespoke box, created for a particular angle and only used to help clarify the real anatomical structures that are not boxlike at all.

So in other words, the parts of the body don’t fit into a rectangular prism of known dimensions in perspective in this approach. There is not a guide where all of the exact points of the box will lie. It’s more like gesture or sketching. You need to build up skill “boxing” things up. It doesn’t have to be the figure this can be done with anything organic or otherwise. As you build confidence with this you’ll start to learn where a box will help or where some other construction might work better.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work!

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@joshuajacobo thanks for the advice and the 3d graphics, its extremely helpful. I will spend some considerable time working on this and figuring it out. Please, if you have time, check in again some time in the future to see if Ive grasped it. Your input is very much appreciated and valued.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Alex, I will try to do so! You can always post to my 100 day challenge to get my attention ( I don’t mind).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#20

Tried out Proko’s bean method for learning to see tilt and angles of the pelvis and ribcage, a few of them I was able to convert into box shapes but held back from doing so because I want to get this down before progressing into box forms. want to make sure this is nailed down because its a bit annoying that this is holding me back :/

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#21

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 284 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.