Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 284 total)
  • Author
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#12 okay, heres today’s effort. I did a portrait of my dad from life. It went okay, I guess. There was lots of rubbing out and moving things and still doesn’t look exactly right.

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Really cool Alex! How long did this take you?

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@jessicagillespie28 Hi jess, erm Im not sure, we watched countdown and something else on the telly whilst I was doing it so maybe an hour and a half to two hours. I really struggled with the eye placement and stuff and rubbed things out a lot. It was by no means a quick drawing really. I’ve gotta work on my speed and getting the placement right. My major weakness is that I seem to take much longer than other artists I know to get things done.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

day#13 I didnt post the past few days because something came up in my personal life. Anyway, as I mentioned earlier I dabble in this other course I already had on my pc and one of the assignments was to draw something without reference. The line drawing went very well, however I cant render/shade without reference to save my life. This has worried me a bit and thrown some massive doubt on my abilities :/

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Alex, you’re separating the light and shadow sides which is right. You need to vary up the core shadow depending on how round the form is. Planes are useful for figuring out the normal (direction of the plane) of an area but you need to think about how the actual form turns now. I would focus on that next step on your next imagination drawing.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@joshuajacobo thanks Josh I’ll keep that in mind. I think Im just gonna leave it for now until I’ve got a bit more mileage because honestly I could just feel that I had no direction and was muddling around a lot, which is not a good space to be in when executing a drawing. I’ll put rendering without reference on the back-burner for a bit. There’s already so much to learn without feeling around in the dark when I dont have proper sense of form or value control yet.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I tell my students that it’s never too soon in your training to start working from imagination. I think drawing from imagination is one of the best ways to advance. You find out what you don’t understand. Then you can go to reference or life or instruction to try to close that gap in your knowledge. Later after digesting and practicing, you can try to do it from imagination again. This is an iterative cycle that can really help you advance quickly. It’s part of how I taught myself and it’s still what I’m doing today. Of course it’s painful and depressing and discouraging at times! Anyway you’re making great progress. Keep it up!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@joshuajacobo thanks for the advice Joshua, I’ll follow your lead 🙂

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

some of the assignment from Steve Huston’s basic figure drawing course. drawing gesture and structure over the masters and then emulating it. was quite fun really 🙂 theres a few areas where Ive spotted that the angles are a bit off. I need to remember to flip my canvas.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14 15 minute gesture drawing

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by AlexAlex.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by AlexAlex.
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

another 15-20 min figure study.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

to round day #14 off another 15 min gesture drawing

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#15 some sketches I did in between watching beginning figure drawing. I did some figure sketches too but cant be bothered scanning them right now, Ill upload them tomorrow

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 284 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.