Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 284 total)
  • Author
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#5 watched a lot of Glenn Vilppu and took notes/ sketches, then I did this quick master study of a zorn etching. not quite as good as I would have liked it to be because I was figuring out how to make the brush act like a fountain pen. got it in the end, something I will keep in mind for future studies. I’ve just now noticed I need to tighten up the eyes a little too, make them a bit smaller. Anyway, here it is.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Another Zorn study

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#6

didnt get very much done today, just sort of watched more vilpu lectures, sketched along a bit and did the assignments. feel like Im in the funk today as I really struggled with the 5 minute poses. sometimes 5 minutes feels like a lot of time, sometimes its way too short. I think maybe I was too tense and rushed the first minute only to make a bunch of mistakes. anyway I tested myself on drawing head anatomy from memory too. Seems to be floating round in there somewhere at least.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by AlexAlex.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by AlexAlex.
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#8

Im moving onto anatomy of the body. I think Ill learn the whole thing, then swing back round to the head and then start a routine of polishing up knowledge of the head and body drawings with daily practice dedicated to that and move through the various figure courses before moving onto perspective and landsape in a few weeks/months in the future. If I dont take this approach Ill be on one subject forever. better to know a little about a lot than a lot about a little. anyway, Im learning the anatomy really simplified right now from a short course Ive had sitting on my computer for a few months.I’m treating it as a buy-in to the entry/intermediate level of anatomy taught on here because I just didnt know what course to take and where to start on here tbh, and just really fancy Ray Bustos anatomy for artists. Im planning on doing the short course I’m fulfilling offline, then either moving onto that or stever hustons figure course. I’ll try Bustos’ course first and see how lost I get and come back to it if need be.

anyway, here are todays efforts.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#9 just couldnt get into it today, heres some 30 second, 1 min and 2 min gesture drawings. :/

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

At this point I stopped and knew it just wasnt happening today

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Alex! Love the mileage you’re getting with the studies! Gestures will definetely get better as time goes on. If you haven’t yet, maybe take a look at Glenn Vilppu’s lessons on gesture drawing. Try to capture the forms wrapping around and changing direction, I think that could bring a lot of life and 3 dimensionality to your gestures.

Keep ’em coming!

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@jeansantos thanks, I think I definitely will. I’ve just decided to start beginning figure drawing with steve huston and see where is goes from there for now, will definitely be hitting vilpu’s gesture drawing after that though.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#10

after doing the gesture drawing yesterday I realised how lacking my figure drawing really is. I guess I thought I was better because I can produce pretty decent figures if I throw a load of time at it. I’ve decided to address my weaknesses and have started beginning figure drawing with Steve Huston. Here are some assignment work Ive done after watching part one and half of part two of that course. When I finish it I think Im going to dedicate a bunch of time to apply the teachings before I at all move on.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

For point of reference, here is a figure drawing I did some weeks ago that I spent quite a bit of time on.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#11

I forgot to post on here yesterday, I posted to instagram though 🙂 here’s some of yesterdays sketches. pretty much just watched some Huston and then took it easy yesterday with two little studies and then an original doodle.

heres a sargent study

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

study of an aaron blaise sketch

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

an original doodle.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 284 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.