Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Alex’s 100 day art challenge

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 284 total)
  • Author
    AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Dunno why, but I tried to post before and it went into moderation. 🙁

anyway, Ive been enjoying NMA for about a week. It’s great. I’m powering through Steve Huston’s course on the head. Here is a head study I have done from what I have learned so far. I finished it today so it will mark DAY #1 of my 100 day art challenge. I find Steve’s method a bit hard and unruly for the basic construction, so I do a sort of hybridisation of his method and the loomis method, remembering to join the neck a bit higher.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow. Your head study is outstanding! I’m hoping you were already very accomplished before you started with NMA! I’ve been doing the head courses since February but have definitely not reached the level you are at. You’ve inspired me to keep pushing myself!

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great proportions and placement of the features! Loved the brushstrokes too. I will definitely continue watching Steve Huston’s course on the head. Keep at it!

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@janstannard Yes, dont be disheartened, I already have a degree in art so have had some skill to fall back on. I’ve been doing NMA for about a week and practising 10 hours a day or more, I’ve always struggled with proportions and never been able to get a likeness freehand or get the features aligned on the front of the head. Before NMA, I was struggling learning the Loomis method for about a week or two (it dates further back on my instagram but thats because I got angry and stopped making art for 2 weeks). Honestly, I advise you learn the Andrew Loomis method first, then I advise that you learn Steve’s method but don’t commit to using his sail/kite thing, it can feel unnatural. Watch the videos and try the assignments using his method AND the loomis method, see which you prefer, then mix them together if it will help. The other big thing that has helped me so far is that I bought a medical skull prop for about £30 on amazon and learned the names of the different parts of the orbit and jaw and the muscles and where they connect. If you want to see how its developed then I have a few years of drawings on my instagram at @alsartblog but bear in mind that anything that looks spot on is more than likely traced up prior to this year.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@jeansantos thanks mate, just looked on your instagram. your sketches are great, how long are you spending on those? They make me feel bad about mine! :’D yeah you should its really good, he gets into doing expressions and using sqaure vs rounded forms and characterisation towards the end which I think you will enjoy.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

day #2

only did a few sketches today, just wasnt feeling it. heres one of them, will upload more later.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

close day #2 out with a sketch of one of the models in the image archive. think it went alright for eyeballing it 🙂

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I appreciate the tips! I just started the Reilly Method but will look into the Andrew Loomis method more. I had watched a few of the Proko videos before I started with NMA where he teaches Andrew Loomis’s approach but had not practiced it. I ordered a skull, too, and have been drawing from it a couple of times a week. I can tell it’s starting to help. It’s really instructive, too, to see the drawings on your Instagram. Thanks for sharing!

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@janstannard You’re welcome, gotta pass it forward, its horribly difficult thing to get good so I always feel like I should help others where I can as I appreciate others doing for me. Hope everything goes smoothly for you learning the head basics, it takes a while and is still taking a while for myself.  🙂

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#3

Ive been working on the digital drawing I posted earlier today as Im unhappy with the likeness. I’ve also worked on some sketches. here is one of the more successful ones from today 

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day#4 more head studies/sketches

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great sketches Alex! Really dig the structure of the left one. Keep up the good work!

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@jeansantos thanks man, saw your latest post on insta, youre producing some drawings with amazing sense of structure yourself! thoroughly enjoying your work, keep it coming please 🙂

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Loving your progress! The line work and values really draw me in. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@jessicagillespie28 thank you, very kind of you to say 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 284 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.