Advanced Head Drawing | Part 2: Visual Differences Between Sexes

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Advanced Head Drawing | Part 2: Visual Differences Between Sexes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this series, master artist Steve Huston brings you his highly-anticipated advanced head drawing lessons. This second lesson in the series will cover the often subtle differences between the head and facial features of males and females. Steve begins at the lecture board, utilizing a set of skulls to elucidate the structural changes in head shape. With a foundational understanding of the varying “landscape” of the head, you can accentuate your characters’ features to portray them as more masculine or feminine. Steve will do several demonstrations working from photo references, which you can find attached to this page.

Materials

• Faber-Castell Polyrchromos Pencil
    • Sharpie Permanent Marker
    • BIC Ballpoint Pen – Blue
    • Waterman Paris Fountain Pen
    AlexanderDeighton
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Steve’s classes are always great. But on the new NMA website it’s impossible to see what reference images are provided for the assignment until you see Steve’s take on the assignment. I would prefer to work on the assignment myself before seeing Steve’s take on it, then go back and work on the assignment again using what I have learned from him.

Lars
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Like Alexander mentions, many of the references Steve uses in this are not in the list of references for the lesson.

Hugo Fonseca
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Is there a reason why there’s no assignment? Love the classes by Steve by the way.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Hugo, assignments are prioritized by new courses and those that will be on the NMA track system which is like a curriculum. Eventually all courses will have assignments.

NenadNenad
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, I absolutly love the course, was wondering what kind of paper Steve uses or in general what kind of paper is recommended for polychromos?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Nenad, Steve uses a variety of paper throughout his courses. He will use Velum for the markers, newsprint and Strathmore mixed media for drawings and various other papers. I believe he uses toned Canson paper for his sketchbooks.
    Glenn is a big fan of Moleskine sketchbooks for Polychromos and fountain pen. This paper has a slight tone to it, its durable enough for lite washes and is very smooth.
    While this isn’t a direct answer, I hope it helps
    B)

NenadNenad
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Whoa! Thanks a lot for this Daniel, great information and much appreciated. Best, Nenad

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.