A Beginners guide to drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion A Beginners guide to drawing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey

Is anybody else doing this course  I find it really challenging ? It’s so interesting how much is contained in the fundamentals , I feel I will be studying the ideas / skills in this ” beginners ”   course for the rest of my life

It would appear fundamental learning is not “basic ” or  the easy bit

I have a few friends who have skipped some of this learning and gone straight to oil painting , having studios , buying expensive materials , wearing berets  and I do see fundamentals lacking in their work  ie tonal value , drawing  Composition gesture , I understand and my ego constantly want to run before I can walk and would rather draw somthing impressive rather than a cylinder or straight line  ,any thoughts ??

Tim

Nadezhda Raskina
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Dude I skip around in the lectures bc I will get so bored if I just draw circles and squares all day. You Can always bounce back and forth

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Nadezhda

Good for  you whatever works

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Tim, I want to reassure you that beginner is not synonymous with easy. Our instructors have been selected based on their exceptional skill level, its hard because they are giving you quality information. Art is difficult, especially in the beginning because there is so much to learn. BUT, it gets easier.
    And you are right, the fundamentals are something that should be practiced throughout your life time. No matter how good we get, we will never match nature. And the more our eyes develops the more obvious that will become. But the point of diminishing returns may be a lifetime away 🙂
    There are some artist that find success by honing their skills into a niche, but the “masters” spent countless hours struggling with the fundamentals. These fundamentals allow them to adapt their skills to other disciplines within the art world.  I know this has been the case for many of our instructors.
    With all that said, you are welcome to stretch those legs from time to time as long as you are using the fundamentals you have learned. I think its a good way to test yourself 🙂

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Daniel

that is  reassuring , these chats are good because study for me brings up lots of ideas  and revelations  I will probably look at  the Steve Huston head drawing soon .

Thanks for your time and support

Kind regards

Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.