100 Day Challenge – Drawing Stuff

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge 100 Day Challenge – Drawing Stuff

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LinyiLinyi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 1: Polygons

LinyiLinyi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2: Rocks and Crystals

Vaidehi Nanote
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Woah these look really cool , well done for taking up the challenge . In a very interesting theme , I might add . ✨👍

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Echo that, well done Linyi.  I think these are digital?  What software/tablet are you using?

Good luck with the challenge!

David

LinyiLinyi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3: Fungi

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by LinyiLinyi.
    LinyiLinyi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Some information about the studies:

Day 1 is polygons in different angles. They are the most basic of forms, hence an important fundamental skill to train. Training includes only referencing the shapes in one angle and simulate the other angles mentally. Also, shift key/ruler or rotating the canvas is not allowed. This is to train the ability to draw straight lines at every angle.

Day 2 is rocks and minerals. They contain both angular polygons as well as some jagged, irregular forms. They are a good transition from polygons to real-world objects as they are a good application of the polygon training. Moreover, drawing forms of rocks does not require high accuracy, unlike faces and hands, as human eyes are not too sensitive or familiar to their forms. Lineweight is an important aspect to convey the form. For example, the crystal edges with sharper angles require a heavier lineweight and vice versa.

Day 3 is fungi. They contain complex organic forms. Fortunately, like rocks, human eyes are not too sensitive or familiar to their forms. This is good training for long, flowing organic lines as well as forms that are stacked closely together. The use of lineweight here is mainly to discern complex shapes as well as render textures. The texture is an important aspect here, as they are just very small structures. This is a good training to decide which are ‘structures’ to render, and which are ‘textures’ to render.

LinyiLinyi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks!

Yes, this is digital. It is done with Wacom tablet and Photoshop.

Ultimately, the tools do not matter. You can do this in Procreate or pencil and paper.

Vaidehi Nanote
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Your explanations are really interesting, are you following a book or course? Or are these your own practices? It’s really cool . I myself want to pursue a career in game art and these are fascinating . Great job✨

LinyiLinyi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4: Faces (Front)

LinyiLinyi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4 is human faces from the front. This is a good exercise to learn proportions and placement, as human eyes can easily check if something is out of place. This is also good for practicing how to render the subtle contours of the human face with soft edges.

Note that these exercises, including those of other days, do not include shading. This is to emphasize the rendering of forms with only edges and no values. Values will be a separate practice.

These exercises are my own. The method I use is that before I do an exercise, I think of what skills I want to practice and apply, and then find reference images to study upon. After the exercise, I conclude what I learned.

LinyiLinyi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5: Shells

klashnikvklashnikv
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is brilliant! Super well done : ) I love the idea, perhaps once I get to have a few days off I will get mine started! I love the concept of starting with very simple, straight-line shapes and then moving forward with abstract (for our eyes) shapes. Love the theory behind it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.